VDA Connectors support generating VDA documents from XML and converting VDA documents into XML.
When receiving VDA documents, VDA Connectors validate interchange headers and convert the VDA document into XML. This is useful as a staging step, as XML is the primary format that CData Arc uses to manipulate data within a flow. The VDA Connector automatically reads the input file to determine the appropriate schema, then parses the document according to this schema.
When generating VDA documents, VDA Connectors convert XML into VDA document syntax and apply the appropriate interchange headers. This is useful as the final step for creating an VDA document, after the XML data has been fetched and transformed elsewhere in the flow.
This section contains all of the configurable connector properties.
Settings related to the core operation of the connector.
- Connector Id The static, unique identifier for the connector.
- Connector Type Displays the connector name and a description of what it does.
- Connector Description An optional field to provide a free-form description of the connector and its role in the flow.
- Translation Type Whether the connector should convert VDA documents into XML, or generate VDA documents from XML.
Settings related to the VDA interchange headers. When converting VDA documents into XML, the document headers will be validated against these settings; when generating VDA documents from XML, these settings will be used to generate document headers.
- Sender Identifier The unique ID identifying the sending party in the VDA communication (when generating an VDA document, this should be your identifier).
- Receiver Identifier The unique ID identifying the receiving party in the VDA communication (when generating an VDA document, this should be your partner’s identifier).
Settings related to the automatic processing of files by the connector.
- Send Whether messages arriving at the connector will automatically be processed.
Settings that specify which characters separate elements, segments, etc.
- Suffix Appears at the end of segments to distinguish them.
Settings related to the allocation of resources to the connector.
- Max Workers The maximum number of worker threads consumed from the threadpool to process files on this connector. If set, this overrides the default setting on the Settings > Automation page.
- Max Files The maximum number of files sent by each thread assigned to the connector. If set, this overrides the default setting on the Settings > Automation page.
Settings not included in the previous categories.
- Generate Description As When translating VDA into XML, descriptions of the VDA segments and elements will be provided as context for the VDA data. This context can be added as an XML comment or included within the XML elements as XML attributes. Use this setting to determine which of these approaches, or neither, is used.
- Local File Scheme A scheme for assigning filenames to messages that are output by the connector. You can use the following macros to reference contextual information:
%ConnectorId%, %Filename%, %FilenameNoExt%, %Ext%, %ShortDate%, %LongDate%, %RegexFilename%, %DateFormat%, %Header%.
For example: %FilenameNoExt%_%ShortDate%%Ext%
- Strict Schema Validation Whether the Connector should Ignore, Warn, or Fail when the following are detected: Repeat counts above the allowed number; missing required elements/segments; invalid qualifier and code values; disallowed element lengths; invalid element values.
Miscellaneous settings are for specific use cases.
- Other Settings Enables you to configure hidden connector settings in a semicolon-separated list (for example,
setting1=value1;setting2=value2). Normal connector use cases and functionality should not require the use of these settings.
VDA to XML
When generating XML, set the Translation Type to VDA to XML. VDA files placed in the Input tab will be processed by the connector. The connector will validate VDA message headers against the Sender Identifier and Receiver Identifier configured in the connector. After validating the transmission, the VDA segments are converted into XML according to the schema specified in the message. The resulting XML files are placed in the Output tab for the connector.
XML to VDA
When generating VDA files, set the Translation Type to XML to VDA. XML files placed in the Input tab will be processed by the connector. The connector converts the XML elements representing a VDA file into VDA segments, then uses the Sender Identifier and Receiver Identifier fields to generate the transmission headers. To create an example of the XML structure required to generate VDA documents, start with an example VDA document and send it through the VDA Connector in VDA to XML mode. The resulting XML can be used as a template in the XML Map Connector to convert arbitrary XML structures into VDA structure.