Create and Refresh a Gateway Connection
Creating an Power BI Online Connection (Standard Mode)
Before you can refresh data from powerbi.com, you must create a connection with your desktop Power BI Gateway.
Log into your powerbi.com instance and set up a connection:
- Select the gear menu in the top-right corner of the screen and click Manage connections and gateways.
- Click the On-premises data gateways tab, hover your mouse over the name of the gateway you created earlier and click the ... menu.
- Click Settings.
- In the gateway Settings panel, check the Allow user's custom data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster box and click Save, then Close.
- Click the Connections tab, then click +New near the top-left corner of the screen.
- In the Gateway cluster name dropdown, select your gateway's name.
- Supply a name for the connection.
- In the Connection type dropdown, select , then select CData Power BI Connector for Neo4j in the Connection Type dropdown.
- In the Data Source Name field, enter your system DSN name. By default, this is "CData PBI Neo4j Sys".
- Set Authentication > Authentication method to Anonymous.
- Set General > Privacy level to Public, Private, or Organizational in accordance with your data privacy needs.
- Click Create.
Configuring a Power BI Online Connection (Personal Mode)
Before you can refresh data from powerbi.com, you must configure the connection with your desktop Power BI Gateway.
Personal Mode Gateway connections are created automatically when installing the Personal Mode of the Power BI Gateway desktop application, and are associated with the account that you logged in with during that installation.
However, there are some configuration changes you must make before you can refresh the dataset.
Log into your powerbi.com instance and do the following:
- On the My workspace page of your workspace, hover your mouse over the dataset corresponding with the name you provided during the publication step and click ... > Settings.
- Under Data Source Credentials, click Edit credentials.
- Set Authentication to Anonymous.
- Set Privacy Level to Public, Private, or Organizational in accordance with your data privacy needs.
Refreshing a DatasetTo refresh the dataset:
- Open the My workspace page of your workspace.
- Hover your mouse over the dataset corresponding with the name you provided during the publication step.
- Click the Refresh now icon.