Creating the Data Source Name
This section describes how to edit the DSN configuration and then authenticate and connect to GraphQL APIs.
Editing the DSN Configuration
You can use the Microsoft ODBC Data Source Administrator to edit the DSN configuration. Note that the DSN is created during the installation process, as described in Installing the Connector.
Complete the following steps to edit the DSN configuration:
- Select Start > Search, and enter ODBC Data Sources in the Search box.
- Choose the version of the ODBC Administrator that corresponds to the bitness of your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Click the System DSN tab.
- Select the system data source and click Configure.
- Edit the information on the Connection tab and click OK.
Before a connection to data can be made, custom schema files must first be configured to model the data being accessed.
See the Modeling GraphQL Data section for a breakdown of the custom schema creation process.
Connecting to GraphQL
Set the following to connect:
- URL: Specify the URL of the GraphQL service;
- Location: Set this to the file path containing the custom schemas defined earlier.
The driver supports two types of authentication:
- Basic: Set AuthScheme to Basic. You must specify the User and Password of the GraphQL service.
- OAuth 1.0 & 2.0: Please take a look at the Using OAuth Authentication section for detailed instructions.
See Getting Data for the next step, which is connecting to the data that you want to work with.