This section shows how to establish a connection to data in DbVisualizer, use the table editor to edit and save data, and execute SQL.
Add the JDBC Driver for HDFS
Complete the following steps to add the driver .jar file in a driver definition:
- In DbVisualizer, select Tools > Driver Manager and then select Driver > Create Driver.
- Enter a name for the driver.
- Enter the following in the URL Format box:
- In the Driver JAR Files section, click the folder icon and browse to the driver .jar file, cdata.jdbc.hdfs.jar. By default, this is located in the lib subfolder of the installation directory. Note that the .lic file in this folder must be located in the same folder as the .jar file.
- In the Driver Class menu, select the HDFSDriver class, cdata.jdbc.hdfs.HDFSDriver.
Create a Database Connection for HDFS
Complete the following steps to select the HDFS driver and build the JDBC URL to create the JDBC data source:
In the main DbVisualizer window, select Tools > Connection Wizard.
- Enter an alias for the connection.
- Select the driver definition you created.
In the following fields, enter the JDBC URL and provide authentication.
See Establishing a Connection for a guide.
- Database URL: Enter the full JDBC URL. The syntax of the JDBC URL is jdbc:hdfs: followed by the connection properties in a semicolon-separated list of name-value pairs.
A typical connection string is below:
- Database UserId: Enter the username for authentication to HDFS, if needed.
- Database Password: Enter the password for authentication to HDFS, if needed.
Discover Schemas and Query HDFS Data
In the main DbVisualizer window, click Connect on the Connection tab for the newly created connection. You can then browse data and execute SQL in the following ways:
- To access the available tables, from the Databases tab, expand the nodes for the connection, database, schema, and table or view.
- To browse through table data and metadata, right-click a table and click Open in New Tab.
- To execute SQL queries, select SQL Commander > New SQL Commander. Select the Database Connection, Database, and Schema from the available menus.