The CData Tableau Connector for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations includes comprehensive high-performance data access, real-time integration, extensive metadata discovery, and robust SQL-92 support.
Before you start you must have installed a supported Tableau application. This includes Tableau Desktop 2020.1 or later and Tableau Prep 2020.4.1 or later.
For older versions of Tableau Desktop, please use either the CData ODBC Driver or the JDBC Driver for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations instead.
Install the Connector
Once the prerequisites are satisfied you can complete the following steps to install the connector:
- Download and run the CData setup.
- If you have Tableau Desktop 2020.3 or later, the setup will automatically install the connector into your personal repository.
- Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
If you are using Tableau Prep or an earlier version of Tableau Desktop, the setup will not be able to detect your Tableau install and you will need to register the connector manually. Once the setup is done you can perform these steps to register the connector:
- Find the connector install directory. This will usually be in either C:\Program Files\CData\CData Tableau Connector for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations 2021 or /Applications/CData Tableau Connector for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations 2021 depending upon your platform.
- Find your Tableau repository. Your repository will usually be located in your documents folder with the name My Tableau Repository. If you are using Prep it will be called My Tableau Prep Repository.
- Go to the install directory and open the lib directory. Copy cdata.d365finop.legacy.taco into the Connectors directory within your Tableau repository.
Note: As of Tableau Prep 21.2+, standard taco files are supported instead of legacy taco files.
License the Connector
To license the connector, place the bundled .lic file (cdata.tableau.d365finop.lic from the lib folder of the installation directory) in the same folder as the connector's JAR file.
Files Installed by the Connector
The automatic install process will try to register both the driver and the connector with your Tableau install. By default it will copy the driver JAR file into either of these locations:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Tableau\Drivers
- Mac: /Users/myuser/Library/Tableau/Drivers
It will also attempt to copy the connector TACO file into one of these locations. The exact path will depend upon your platform language settings:
- Windows: C:\Users\myuser\My Tableau Repository\Connectors
- Mac: /Users/myuser/Documents/My Tableau Repository/Connectors
See Configuring a Connection for the next step, which includes establishing a connection via the connection builder.