The Users tab provides an interface to add, edit, and delete users. At least one user must be added before communicating with QuickBooks Point of Sale.
This tab displays a list of existing users along with information about the user's configuration.
When adding or editing a user, the following options are available:
- User: Sets the username. This is required.
- Password: Sets the password for the user. This is required when using Basic authentication (default).
- Company File: Specifies the company file with which the application will communicate. By default this is the company file that is currently open in QuickBooks Point of Sale. Set this to the name of the company file (Note: Specifying the entire file path will result in a "Cannot connect to database" error from QuickBooks Point of Sale). A company file must be specified in order to access the company file when QuickBooks Point of Sale is closed.
- Authentication: Specifies the type of authentication to perform when the user connects. The QuickBooks Gateway supports the following authentication methods:
Basic Authentication (default): Authenticates the user with a username and password. Windows Authentication: Authenticates the user as a Windows user. In this case the Password field is not applicable. When the QuickBooks Gateway receives a connection request, it will authenticate the user to Windows using the credentials supplied in the request.
- Application Name: Optionally sets the name of the application as seen by QuickBooks Point of Sale. Authentication to QuickBooks Point of Sale is handled based on the provided application name.
- Data Access: Specifies the allowed access for the user.
Full: Allows read and write access for the user. Read-only: Restricts the user to read-only operations. QuickBooks Point of Sale data cannot be modified.
The Test Connection button provides a quick way to verify the application can connect with QuickBooks Point of Sale.
When a user is added the QuickBooks Gateway will prompt you to authorize the application with QuickBooks Point of Sale if necessary.