When To Create a Custom OAuth Application
CData embeds OAuth Application Credentials with CData branding that can be used when connecting via a desktop application or headless application.
You may choose to use your own OAuth Application Credentials when you want to
- control branding of the Authentication Dialog
- control the redirect URI that the application redirects the user to after the user authenticates
- customize the permissions that you are requesting from the user
Create a Custom OAuth App: Desktop
- Log in to your LinkedIn developers dashboard and click Create New App. Enter information to be displayed to users when they are prompted to grant permissions to your application.
- Select your application and select the following in Default Application Permissions: w_share, r_basicprofile, and rw_company_admin.
- Set the RedirectURI:
The OAuthClientId and OAuthClientSecret are also displayed in the same page.
- For desktop applications, set the Redirect URI to http://localhost:33333 or a port number of your choice. When you connect must set the CallbackURL connection property to this exact URL.
- For web applications, set the Redirect URI to a page on your Web app that you would like the user to be returned to after they have authorized your application.
- For headless machines, set the Redirect URI to http://localhost:33333 or a port number of your choice.