Creating the Data Source Name
This section describes how to edit the DSN configuration and then authenticate and connect to PayPal APIs.
Editing the DSN Configuration
You can use the Microsoft ODBC Data Source Administrator to edit the DSN configuration. Note that the DSN is created during the installation process, as described in Installing the Connector.
Complete the following steps to edit the DSN configuration:
- Select Start > Search, and enter ODBC Data Sources in the Search box.
- Choose the version of the ODBC Administrator that corresponds to the bitness of your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Click the System DSN tab.
- Select the system data source and click Configure.
- Edit the information on the Connection tab and click OK.
The provider surfaces tables from two PayPal APIs. The APIs use different authentication methods.
To choose the API you want to work with, set the Schema property to REST or SOAP. By default, the SOAP schema will be used.
- The REST API uses the OAuth standard. To authenticate to the REST API, you will need to set the AuthScheme to OAuth, the OAuthClientId, and OAuthClientSecret properties. See Connecting to the REST API for more information.
- The SOAP API requires Signature API credentials. To authenticate to the SOAP API, you will need to set the AuthScheme to Basic, set the Username, Password, and Signature properties. You generate these API credentials when you enable the SOAP API. See Connecting to the SOAP API for more information.
For testing purposes, set UseSandbox to true and use Sandbox credentials.
See Getting Data for the next step, which is connecting to the data that you want to work with.