Establishing a Connection
Creating a JDBC Data Source
You can create a JDBC data source to connect from your Java application. Creating a JDBC data source based on the CData JDBC Driver for EdgarOnline consists of three basic steps:
- Add the driver JAR file to the classpath. The JAR file is located in the lib subfolder of the installation directory. Note that the .lic file must be located in the same folder as the JAR file.
- Provide the driver class. For example:
- Provide the JDBC URL. For example:
jdbc:edgaronline:AppKey='20dd8ce9904d422ed89ebde1ad40d' or jdbc:cdata:edgaronline:AppKey='20dd8ce9904d422ed89ebde1ad40d'
The second format above can be used whenever there is a conflict in your application between drivers using the same URL format to ensure you are using the CData driver. The URL must start with either "jdbc:edgaronline:" or "jdbc:cdata:edgaronline:" and can include any of the connection properties in name-value pairs separated with semicolons.
Connecting to EdgarOnline
- Navigate to https://developer.edgar-online.com/ and create an account.
- Register a new application and retrieve the AppKey. You should select one of the available Web APIs this application will use like HackPack, Insider Trades or Institutional Ownership.
Note: HackPack is the most important Web API that an application can use since it supports a large number of endpoints. If you are getting the "Access Denied" error you must create a new app and select the correct Web API which supports the resource you are querying.
- After successfully creating a new app, you can access your keys through your "my account" area. Set the AppKey connection property value equal to the Key of your application.